Live In Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live In Caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.

Both the employer and the employee must follow several steps to meet the requirements of the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP).

Before you are hired as a Live In Caregiver your Employer must go through several steps.  Once the employer is given the green signal to hire a Live in Caregiver the employer must provide a written contract.

In order to qualify as a Live In Caregiver you must:

  • have successfully completed the equivalent of Canadian high school education
  • have at least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or related experience in the past three years
  • have good working knowledge of English or French
  • must apply for and receive a work permit as a Live In Caregiver

FAQ about Live In Caregivers

Do I have any rights as a Live In Caregiver?

You are entitled to legal rights and fair working conditions and benefits such as days off, overtime pay etc.

When can I apply for Permanent Residence?

You can apply after you have completed 24 months of full-time employment or 3,900 hours of full time employment.

Can I travel outside Canada when I am working as a Live In Caregiver?

You can travel based on the vacation time allotted in your contract.  However, ensure you do not take any extra days without written consent from your employer.   Also, check that you meet all the criteria for returning to Canada as you may not be permitted to re-enter Canada if you do not meet all of the conditions e.g. if your work permit has expired or your country of origin requires you to obtain a temporary resident visa