Did you know? As of June 19, 2014, applications still in the backlog of the Federal Immigrant InvestorProgram and Entrepreneur Program were terminated. If your selection decision was made BEFORE February 11, 2014 your case will NOT be affected. In all other cases CIC will organize to return your fees. The Quebec Investor Program and the Quebec Entrepreneur Program are not affected.
Canada now offers a new Start-up Visa Program where immigrant entrepreneurs are linked to experienced private sector organizations who are experts in working with start-up companies.
The Start-up visa program has four requirements:
- A Letter of Support from a designated angel investor group, a venture capital fund or a business incubator.
- An ability to communicate in either French or English equivalent to a minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5.
- Completion of one year of study at a post-secondary institution.
- An adequate amount of money in order to settle and provide for the cost of living prior to earning an income.
While the investor requirements vary slightly from province to province the general requirements are:
- Demonstrate that you have qualifying business experience in your home country
- Net worth of at least 1.6 million CAN
- Proof you can invest $400,000 to $800,000.00 CAN after approval
Self-Employed Persons Program
Self-employed applicants are categorized as people who will become self-employed in Canada. They include people who are highly skilled in cultural activities or athletics, as well as farmers. Either you must make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life in Canada or have experience in farm management; buy and manage a farm in Canada in order to qualify.
Quebec Investor Program and the Quebec Entrepreneur Program
To be considered for the Quebec Investor Program you must:
- have a net worth of about $1,600,000 CAN
- have experience in management in a legal farming, commercial or industrial business, or in a legal professional business, or for an international agency or a government or one of its departments or agencies
- intend to settle in Québec and sign an agreement to invest$800,000 CAN with an organization authorized to participate in the Investor Program
To be considered for the Quebec Entrepreneur Program program, you must:
- have net assets of at least $300,000 CAN
- have at least two years’ experience in running a business acquired during the five years before the date you submitted your application
- apply in one of the following categories:
- Ability to carry out a business project component: you will need to submit a business proposal that shows your capacity to start or acquire a legal business entity in Québec that you will manage yourself
- Acquisition of a business in Québec component: you will need to acquire a business in Québec, with at least 25% of capital with a value of at least $100,000 CAN that you will manage yourself